The full form of PhD is Doctor of Philosophy, in some countries it is also termed as Ph. D, DPhil or D.Phil. In Latin philosophiae doctor or doctor philosophiae.
It is the most common degree at the highest academic level awarded following a course of study. PhD is an earned research degree awarded for programs across the whole world of academic fields.
- Candidates have to complete their Master’s degree in a particular field, where they intend to start a PhD.
- Some universities also asks candidates to undertake or complete a MPhil before PhD course, they are offering.
- Nonetheless, several colleges seek that candidates shall fulfill qualifications they offer for PhD programs, clearing UGC NET.
- Those candidates who wish to pursue a PhD in Engineering must have a justifiable GATE score.
Objectives of PhD
- PhD is one of the most prestigious academic degrees awarded by any institution.
- The primary goal is to educate the next generation of leading scientists and researchers.
Those studying for a PhD, have to produce original research documents normally in the form of a thesis or dissertation, and defend their work against experts in that field.
The completion of a PhD is often a requirement for employment for;
- A university professor,
- OR, Scientist in many fields
List of some subject in which PhD is offered
Here are some of the subjects or courses where one can pursue his/her PhD.
- Clinical Research
- Applied Sciences
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Business administration
There are wide variety of more courses where PhD is offered by various Institutes overall the Globe.
The full form of PhD is Doctor of Philosophy, or in Latin philosophiae doctor or doctor philosophiae.
In India, it is compulsory to complete a Masters Degree in the respective field of study where one seeks to continue PhD.
A doctorate degree usually takes 3-6years to complete but can be extended further in some programs.
There are two ways one can fail in PhD
2. Failing the viva (or known as your Thesis Defence)